Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Didn't Get on the Plane

In the movies, a standard cliche is Lover A is dropped at the airport by Lover B and after a heart-wrenching goodbye, Lover A meanders away supposedly to board the plane.  After enough minutes pass for us to think that Lover A got on the plane (or at least through security), Lover B realizes the mistake in separating and makes a mad dash back to the airport.  This usually involves a mad dash through heavy city traffic and often an illegal entry through security, or, my favorite, the purchasing of a very expensive plane ticket ANYWHERE just to get through security.  All plane travel abandoned, the lovers reunite and go out for sushi.

In real life, plane tickets cost a lot of money.  So today, when I didn't get on the plane back to Maine it is because I called to change my flight yesterday.  Maybe there was not as much drama or romance, but who can waste that much money during a recession?

To step outside of a long ago arranged plan is totally out of character for me but also totally invigorating.  To clear a whole week of plans just to mull about more in the Northwest is as rewarding as taking a whole box of junk to Goodwill (maybe more rewarding).  I guess this is living in the moment although I did think more people might notice, like I might have a new glow and people would stop to point as I walked down the street.  It's enough that it is my quiet secret that I was nearly totally irresponsible and used long stored up (because I never use any) reckless abandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment