Thursday, August 25, 2011

Today Only

As someone with the initials JGL will point out with mild disinterest and sarcasm, I do not update blogs frequently.  I always get on a kick and then lose it.  Well, isn't that the way with life?

When I quit my job a little more than a year ago, I had grand plans for a year of wild carpe diem.  I started off well - India, Greece, upstate NY, Italy.  Then I got two part times jobs.  I'm not good at math, but I can do this equation:  1 part time job + 1 part time job = 1 full time job.  So, work 17,456,987, carpe diem 4.

A bit ago, a former college roommate said she was jealous about my carpe diem quest.  I told her not to be because it actually floundered.  Well, here goes part two.  For the last few weeks, as my summer employment neared its end, I have resisted with great difficulty applying for a permanent respectable job (i.e. a permanent or semi-permanent teaching position).  There have been several available in my area, but my quest to truly experience life in the moment (and my lack of desire to put down roots that will once again be torn) overpowered my sense of practicality.  And hence, in less than a week the school year begins and I, happily and worriedly, have only a part time job (if adjuncting one class and tutoring a few hours a week can even be considered part time).  While some may think it is foolish to talk this way when so many people are right now unemployed not by choice, I am feeling this great sense of relief and exuberance.

I don't know what I am going to do.  I have some ideas.  And because I am incredibly blessed (and my husband is a saint who just wants me to be happy), I have the means to quest.

1 comment: