Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Biking

To me, rail to trail trails are as mountain biking as I need to get.  To my host, not so.  This discrepancy has been great for me over the last two weeks

Last week, we went biking twice at Black Hill Regional Park in Montgomery County, Maryland.  While this is an advanced beginning trail, it was a challenge for me.  Luckily, I only fell once (don't judge, it is sometimes really hard to clip out of your bike pedals before you lose your balance).  The trail meandered on some paved paths, but mostly on root and rock dirt trails.  The worst part was the hill with much rough trail and a steep drop to the side; I stopped and walked my bike several times.  The best part was the small and frequent dips; it was like a mountain biking roller coaster.  By the time we turned around and headed back to the parking lot on our first visit, I was feeling quite confident (of course this is when I fell).  The second trip to Black Hill my ride was much faster as I was not quite so terrified of the terrain.  I even was able to accomplish some of the obstacles I opted out of earlier in the week.

Yesterday, we went to a park in northern Virginia.  This park was much more my speed, or so it seemed at first, as the trails had fewer obstacles.  But then we got to the switchbacks under the power lines.  Oh, how those would have been tons of fun if I wasn't so terrified of falling.  They were fun though, especially the last one where the switchback cut swiftly down a hill and the sides of the trail were so worn down with use it was like being in a tight luge run.  The best part of our ride in Virginia - I fell in the parking lot before we even started our ride!

Lots of fun.  I think, however, next week will find me back on the rail to trail Eastern Trail in Maine.  

1 comment: