Monday, October 10, 2011

How Can You Tell It's Time for a Road Trip?

In Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet, he describes marriage as two separate pillars holding up a temple.

"And stand together yet not too near together:  For the pillars of the temple stand apart..."

It is important for two people to be independent, but they need to also be holding up the same building.  Andy being away for four months is not as bad as things can be by any means.  There are countless spouses alone for up to a year if not more because their other halves are deployed.  And some day Andy and I will most likely experience that.  Even though we have been lucky enough to see each other three times since he left in August, I feel so discombobulated lately.  I am a crooked temple.

That is when you know it is time for a road trip.  In this situation, there is no reason to not spend as much time as possible together because someday it might be impossible to spend time together.  I am seizing the day and road tripping to Maryland!  

1 comment:

  1. That is my favorite reading on marriage. I almost had you read that at our wedding!

    ReplyDelete